The research group
The Applications of Machine Learning (AML) research group belongs to
the new big Department of Computer Science at the Aalto University School
of Science, Espoo, Finland. The former name of this group was Environmental
and Industrial Machine Learning (EIML) research group up to April 2015.
The AML group is developing or has developed new machine learning techniques and
- For modeling environment using time series prediction, variable selection and
- For solving various industrial problems. We have considered practical data
sets and problems in chemometrics, electricity production and distribution,
and bankruptcy prediction.
- Currently we are studying security problems in joint projects with F-Secure
corporation and other collaborators. These problems include classification of
web pages based on their images, and malfare detection from software created
for Android mobile phone systems in the CloSe project.
- Dimensionality reduction and information visualization techniques which map higher
dimensional data to two dimensions in some optimal or meaningful way.
The head of the AML research group is Prof. Juha Karhunen. The original EIML
research group was created by Dr. Amaury Lendasse, who became Associate Professor
in Iowa University, USA, from September 2014. Originally the name of this group
was Time Series Prediction research group, reflecting its central research topic
Physically, the group is located in Otaniemi, Espoo, Finland, in the Computer Science
(CS) building of Aalto University. The address of the CS building is Konemiehentie 2C,
02150 Espoo, Finland. The mail address is P.O. Box 15400, 00076 Aalto, Espoo, Finland.
The email addresses of the group members are of the form: email@example.com .
The members of the research group, with links to their home pages, are listed here.
The research group is led by Prof. Juha Karhunen.
- In April 2015, Mark van Heeswijk defended successfully his doctoral thesis
and gets his Doctor of Technology degree soon after this. He is currently a postdoc
reseacher in the AML research group.
- In March 2015, Mika Juuti's Master's (Diploma) thesis is accepted, and he
gets the Diploma Engineer (M.Sc.) degree.
- 1.1.2015 Dr. Francesco Corona moves to Brazil but is still working 20% of his
time for the AML research group.
- In October 2014, Dr. Yoan Miche moves to Nokia Siemens Networks Corp.
However, he is still collaborating with us in the CloSe projects.
- In October 2014, both Emil Eirola and Dusan Sovilj defended successfully their
doctoral theses and get the Doctor of Technology degree soon after this.
- In October 2014, Srikrishna Raamadhurai's and Luiza Sayfullina's Master's
(Diploma) theses are accepted, and they get the Diploma Engineer (M.Sc.) degree.
- 01.09.2014: Dr. Amaury Lendasse who created the EIML group, moves to Associate
professor position in Iowa University, USA.
- 17.06.2014: CloSe (Cloud security services) project and its funding for two
years are accepted by Academy of Finland and Tekes. We have in this project several
partners from both universities and corporations.
- 06.01.2014: From January 6, 2014, Martin
Loos from EAWAG in Switzerland is a visiting researcher, staying here up to November
- 01.09.2013: From September 2013, Prof. Juha Karhunen is the new head of the
EIML group, when the former head Prof. Olli Simula retired.
- T-61.5130 Machine
Learning and Neural Networks, Autumn 2014
- T-61.3040 Statistical
Signal Modeling, Autumn 2014
- T-61.5010 Information
Visualization, Spring 2014
- Future Internet (FI) SHOK project:
large-scale malware and anomaly detection.
- Automaqua: Automation technologies for wastewater treatment plants in
the era of data explosion.
- BONUS+ ERA-Net Project AMBER:
Assessment and Modelling of Baltic Ecosystem Response.
- FP7-PEOPLE IEF: Developing Nonlinear Tools for Environmental Modeling and
- CHESS: Developing chemometrics with the tools of information technology.