The research group
The Environmental and Industrial Machine Learning (EIML) research group belongs to
the Department of Information and Computer Science at the Aalto University School of Science,
The EIML group continues the work of the former Time Series Prediction and Chemoinformatics as well
as Adaptive Informatics Applications groups, and is developing new machine learning techniques:
- For modeling environment using for example time series prediction, variable selection and
- For solving solve various industrial problems. We have considered parctical data sets and problems
in chemometrics, electricity production and distribution, bankruptcy prediction, and information
The head of the group is Prof. Juha Karhunen. The industrial machine learning part is under the
responsibility of Dr. Francesco Corona, while Dr. Yoan Miche is responsible for the projects and
research on internet security and malfare detection. The EIML group was created by Dr. Amaury Lendasse,
who became Associate Professor in Iowa University, USA, from September 2014.
Physically, the group is located in Otaniemi, Espoo, Finland, in the Computer Science and Engineering
(CSE) building of Aalto University. The address of the CSE building is Konemiehentie 2C, 02150 Espoo,
Finland. The mail address is P.O. Box 15400, 00076 Aalto, Espoo, Finland. The email addresses
of the group members are of the form: email@example.com .
The members of the research group, with links to their home pages, are listed here.
The research group is led by Prof. Juha Karhunen.
- 01.09.2014: Dr. Amaury Lendasse who created the EIML group, moves to Associate professor position in Iowa University, USA.
- 17.06.2014: CloSe (Cloud security) project and its funding for two years was accepted by Academy of Finland and Tekes. There are many partners from both universities and corporations.
- 06.01.2014: From January 6, 2014, Martin Loos from EAWAG in Switzerland is a visiting researcher, staying here up to November 2014.
- 06.01.2014: Srikrishna Raamadhurai joins the group. Welcome!
- 01.09.2013: From September 1 2013, Prof. Juha Karhunen is the new head of the EIML group, when the former head Prof. Olli Simula retired.
- 28.05.2013: Qi Yu successfully defended her dissertation on Machine Learning for Corporate Bankruptcy Prediction. Congratulations!
- 01.03.2013: Anton Akusok and Alexander Grigorievskiy became researchers and graduate students in the EIML group. Welcome!
- T-61.5130 Machine Learning and Neural Networks, Autumn 2014
- T-61.3040 Statistical Signal Modeling, Autumn 2014
- T-61.5010 Information Visualization, Spring 2014
- T-61.5130 Machine Learning and Neural Networks, Autumn 2013
- T-61.3040 Statistical Signal Modeling, Autumn 2013
- T-61.5010 Information Visualization, Spring 2013
- T-61.9910 Machine Learning for Corporate Finance, Autumn 2011
- T-61.6010 Evolving Intelligent Systems, Methodology and Applications, Autumn 2010
- T-61.6010 Hilbert-Huang Transform and its Applications, Autumn 2009
- T-61.6020 Bankruptcy Prediction, Autumn 2009
- T-61.6010 High Dimensional Data Analysis, Autumn 2008
- Data to Intelligence: Web content classification and social network behaviour analysis
- CloSe: Cloud security services
- Future Internet (FI) SHOK project: large-scale malware and anomaly detection
- Automaqua: Automation technologies for wastewater treatment plants in the era of data explosion
- BONUS+ ERA-Net Project AMBER: Assessment and Modelling of Baltic Ecosystem Response
- FP7-PEOPLE IEF: Developing Nonlinear Tools for Environmental Modeling and Chemoinformatics
- CHESS: Developing chemometrics with the tools of information technology